After the invention of Social Media, people became lazier. While scrolling through their newsfeed on Facebook, people started bouncing away from long, dull, and keyword filled blog posts. Buzzfeed took a different approach and introduced listicles that allowed readers to complete an entire article within few minutes. According to Google, “a listicle is an article on the Internet presented in the form of a numbered or bullet-pointed list. Here is an example –
Scott DeLong realised early the demand for such content and created a website called Viral Nova which became the hub for all viral list based content on the internet. The founder made millions of dollars single handedly within 8 months. I had started a similar website as well, however the traffic on my site was not even 1% of Scott’s site. The average visitors were between 60-100 each day and I was on the verge of giving up. Here are my Google Analytics stats for the first few months –
Yes, there were some days when my post use to go viral and I use to get around 1,000 views in a single day but this wasn’t enough. I tried every trick in the bag to increase the amount of visitors, but I failed miserably. This continued till 23rd November, when I made altered my business model and marketing plan completely. Want to know what happened next?
- November 23rd – 64 sessions
- November 24th – 206 sessions
- November 25th – 563 sessions
- November 26th – 49,900 SESSIONS
On the afternoon of November 26th, I received an email from Hostgator asking me to upgrade my server as the current one was unable to handle the amount of traffic the website was getting. Unfortunately my site crashed that night as I was unable to upgrade the server on time, however on the bright side I cracked the code to unlimited viral traffic.
Are you interested in knowing what I did to generate so much traffic in such little time? Here is what I did –
1. I Went From “Broad” To “Niche”
Niche targeting is really important as it gives you a higher chance of succeeding. What do you think is better? Becoming a small player of a huge market, or a huge monopoly of a targeted market? Peter Thiel, the founder of Paypal and Palantir believes that a small business should focus on becoming the most dominant player in the industry it is present to succeed. Lets take the multi-billion dollar company Google for instance. Google’s competitors include giants like Yahoo, Baidu, Bing, Ask, AOL and Excite who collectively own ONLY 28.65% of the entire search engine market share. Google is a monopoly in the market it is present as majority of the people on the internet prefer using its search tool rather than any other. The goal should be to discover niche markets that have medium-high demand and less competition.
Your chances of being ranked on the first page of search engines increase significantly if targeted with niche keywords. If you search for a popular term like “magic tricks” then you will discover there are 5,790,000 results for it as it is a broad term. However, if you search for the term “mentalism” (which is a type of magic trick) then you will find only 549,000 results. This clearly shows that getting ranked for the latter keyword is easier as it is more niche. This strategy was followed by Jay Wessman a.k.a Lazy Ass Stoner, a successful internet marketer created a website based on mentalism back when the keyword had lesser results than it currently has. His website “Mentalism Zone” ranks on the first page of Google right below Wikipedia’s link and fetches him a decent amount of passive income monthly.
Now you must be wondering, how do you find such niche markets and keywords? The process I am about to reveal requires a lot of time and patience as this is no get rich quick scheme. If you are willing to sweat it out then here is what you gotta do to find highly profitable keywords –
- Go to Google’s Keyword Planner Tool. This is a free tool provided by Google to advertisers that you can leverage for finding targeted keywords.
- Under “Find new keywords and get search volume data” select “Search for new keywords using a phrase, website or category”
- Enter your keywords under “Your product or service” and target according to your preference.
Make sure that under “Customize your search” the option of “Only show ideas closely related to my search terms” is turned ON.
- Click on get ideas and then select the “Keyword ideas” tab. You will see your searched keyword with the amount of monthly searches and other valuable information. If you scroll down further, you will find more keywords related to the one you searched.
- Your GOAL is to search for keywords that have LOW COMPETITION and high AVERAGE MONTHLY SEARCHES. Seems simple? Well, it is but definitely takes a lot of time. The month searches figure appears on one of the row, however to find the amount of competition you have to follow one more step. Go to google.com and search for the keyword you are trying to rank for. On the very top you will see a number followed by results and a time figure in seconds. It would look something like “About xyz results (0.abc seconds).” This clearly represents the competition for that particular keyword and your goal is to find such terms that have less number of results/competition. Aim for results less than 1 million and you will be gold.
To get almost 50,000 views in less than 24 hours, I became more niche targeted. My entire website was very broad based around topics of various types. Instead of creating entertaining content for the entire web, I altered my business model and became focused only on college students (as these were the people visiting my website the most). Instead of posting about general topics, I started generating content exclusively tailored towards students.
2. I Created Viral Posts
Posts that have the ability of being shared over and over again on Social media are termed as Viral posts. If you are going to spend ages writing content with over 1500 words each as recommended by the “SEO experts” then you might as well construct it in such a manner so that it goes viral. This strategy can be replicated for any market, so it does not matter which niche you are in.
You DO NOT need to be innovative for going viral. Wait, what? YES! All you need to do is leverage the content related to your industry that is already being shared a lot on social media. For example, I have a niche website about the Republican Party and find a video about Donald Trump going viral on Youtube. I can simply use that video on my blog and it will get a lot of shares automatically. You can do the same with blog posts and infographics by putting them in your own words and sharing. The question is how do you find content that has the most potential of going viral?
There are a lot of resources available on the internet that you can use to find trending content. The 2 most popular tools are provided by Google itself. The first one is Youtube Trends Dashboard that allows you to find the most viewed and shared videos on the internet according to various categories. You can sort videos by gender, country and ages. Embed the video on your website that is related to your niche and has the highest amount of views. To do so all you have to do is click on “share” and copy and paste the code under the “embed” tab. Google Trends is another great tool that allows you to find the most searched keywords according to date. You can sort stories according to different categories like business, sports, tech etc.
I spent hours searching for viral content that college students can relate to. After that, I composed 3-4 posts of articles and videos ALREADY shared by a lot by my target audience.
3. I Leveraged Social Media
Having highly engaged social profiles is a MUST for businesses these days. One can easily generate a lot of backlinks from social media, that’ll help ones website rank on Google. There are a lot of social networks out there that you can use to achieve goals according to your needs. The two websites used the most by me are Facebook and Reddit as they have the capability to drive a lot of targeted traffic.
Tips to drive traffic from Facebook –
- Build a solid fan page by getting a lot of likes. Check out my detailed video, in which I teach you How To Get Your First 1000 Facebook Likes For FREE
- Create viral link based posts by using compelling images and titles. The goal should be to make users curious and click on the link. Images with a face tend to be more clickable and you can obtain such images from any stock photo website.
- Post frequently! If you want to keep your users entertained and hooked to your business, then you should post at least twice each day. These posts should be a mix of videos, images and links so that your fans don’t get bored.
- Use Facebook ads if and when necessary. Advertising on Facebook is really effective and can help you achieve goals like: get more traffic, generate leads, increase sales etc. To know more about Facebook ads go here.
Want to know more about how to get viral traffic from social media? Get my Social Media Marketing training This course shows how I used social media to generate so much traffic.
Tips to drive traffic from Reddit –
- Reddit has the capability to drive so much traffic to your website that your server might crash. All the stories you see on the front page are viral cause users voted them to be worthy. It is very tough to get on the front page of Reddit due to the amount of competition.
- The good news is that you DO NOT have to rank on the first page of the website to drive traffic. Reddit has something amazing called sub-reddits and you can access them by searching for any keyword in the search tool.
- Once you search for something on Reddit, a lot of results will pop up. On top you will see the sub-categories of the topic you searched for. These are called sub-reddits and your goal is to find those with medium-low amount of following.
- Join Reddit and start posting in the sub-reddits of your choice. TIP: don’t post too often as you’ll be identified as spam.
4. I Scheduled & Automated The Entire Process
What if I tell you that after a certain point you’ll never have to work again and all your work would be automated while you pool in a lot of cash? The entire loop mentioned above was automated, and this helped me generate evergreen traffic till date. Once you have couple of posts ranked well on Google along with a decent social media following, you can use tools like Buffer and Hootsuite to automate everything.
DO this ONLY if you have an established website: Head over to Fiverr and hire a content writer for $5 a pop. Tell the writer to submit at least one article per day and then schedule that for days ahead using Buffer/Hootsuite. Do this till you have the entire week filled with valuable content that your fans/followers can click on. If you are too lazy to schedule then you can also hire a virtual assistant from the same website.
After receiving 49,900 sessions, I scheduled a lot of posts weeks ahead because of which I continued to get viral traffic as you can see below –
Do you want to learn how I used Social Media to get these results? Discover the exact steps I took to increase my traffic using Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Reddit & Tumblr by downloading my Social Media Marketing Step-By-Step Blueprint course for FREE!